Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Never-ending Humiliation

So, is there a limit to the number of times you can truly humiliate yourself in one month? Is that number 3? I hope so. Sometimes I wonder if I need new meds.

1. There was the humiliating karate test. That was a good one.

2. Then, there was the time at the Mother's Day banquet, a week ago, when I forgot how to end the song. It was the easiest song we had. My mind, when not occupied, apparently defaults to the blank slate we were supposed to be born with. There I was... blank slate. But, unfortunately, my hands kept moving. Making chords. The nice keybordist looked at me like, "And where are you going??" That's when I first realized that I was out of control. Then the singers looked at me as if to say, "Are you two playing the same song?" There was no way to play the same song since I was playing chords in no particular order. Yep. There was terror in their eyes as I drove the Praise Bus off the cliff. That was fun.

3. Then, there was this time, yesterday, when I took J and her friend to see X-men. I went to the ladies' room while they got our seats. I hurried into the theater and for no particular reason, decided not to move J's purse and plop down next to her. It's nice to have a place off the floor to put your purse, so I just dropped my purse in the seat between us along with hers.

Then the previews started. There are some great, action-packed movies coming up. Those of you who go to movies with me know that I give thumbs up or down, and make an announcement at the end of each preview (that looks good... no, not going to see that one). If something looks particularly good, I even pump my arm and say, "Oh, yeah! Definitely."

The movie started. I sprawled out in my seat. Slumped. Legs at different angles. Knocked my drink lid on the floor. Looked around for it. Made comments about being a dork. Made comments at the funny parts of the movie. Generally made comments. I sing in public restrooms. There is no end to my vocalizations. The girls were silent, really intently watching the movie. I sprawled some more. Kind of wallowed.

About half way through the movie, J's friend leaned forward, elbows on knees. I never noticed how masculine Gabriella looks. You know, when we walked in to the theater she had curly hair. Yes, the hair was the real give away. This was definitely A MAN. Then I focus on the person next to me. Nope. It was not my baby. It was someone else's baby... Probably the guy sitting next to her.

Then I began to laugh... quietly. You know how that shakes your seat. It shakes quite a few seats. I envisioned what it would have been like if I had grabbed her purse and plopped down in the seat next to her! More laughter.

Now what was I supposed to do?? Crane my neck and look around for my party? Surely they don't want to own me by now. So, I sat up and tried to behave like a grown-up.

Julie just thought I wanted to let her and G sit by themselves... SO I JOINED A COUPLE ON THEIR DATE????
Yep. That was terrific.
I hope the number is 3.

8 comments:

  1. and that is where lizzy gets if from! she once lost me at the movies while i was walking RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER. it was too funny. i can still hear her terrified whisper in my head, "leilani! where are you!!", as she sits 2 rows behind me. too funny!

    ps... at my 16th birthday party, my mom got eveyone together to sing Happy Birthday, then she started singing We Wish You a Merry Christmas. it lead to much confusion and even more laughter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am your mother's twin.. separated at birth. How funny!! I can so relate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo...even in my 18 years, I know that the humiliation won't ever end. I could get started on my wonderful stories, on second thought, don't get me started...hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bri darling, you have wisdom beyond your years. You'd think I'd know by now that humiliation is my familiar friend... Still I'd love to hear your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh mama you make me laugh out loud. very funny. leilani, i am my mother's daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my favorite story ever. Oh Ema...you never cease to amaze me! See you in 2 days!
    <3 sease

    ReplyDelete
  7. momma! gracie read this out loud to me! i would do that momma... i would! you'll have to ask grace about my embarassing moment when visiting her church out here... i am not about to publish it for the world to hear.. but she can tell you! haha.. i kinda wish you would have sat next to the girl.. just to see what she'd do.. but probably better you didn't... hahaha <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kaylee, your humiliation is the humiliation pinnacle! Wow. It leaves me speechless (now that I've finished laughing!)

    ReplyDelete